Our clients get free access to LedgerDocs with any package.

Tax Requirements for Growing Businesses

A high percentage of small to medium-sized businesses will look to grow sometime during their life cycle. In this post you will find some important information relevant to tax requirements for a growing business.

Tax Requirements Change as Your Business Changes

As you build and grow your business, any number of events and activities can trigger new tax requirements. Here we show you what you need to consider as you grow your business.

Moving From a Sole Proprietorship or Partnership to a Corporation

It might be advantageous to incorporate your business. Refer to Canada Revenue Agency’s (CRA) webpage, Changing your business status for information regarding changes to your tax registration.

It’s recommended that you consult with both an accountant and a lawyer when transitioning to an incorporated company. Corporations have more comprehensive recordkeeping requirements than proprietorships.

Hiring Employees for the First Time

Your business is growing and you need to hire staff for the first time. The provincial government has several tax initiatives to assist small- and medium-sized businesses in hiring and retaining employees, such as the Training Tax Credits for Employers.

Refer to CRA’s webpage How payroll works for comprehensive information on payroll and tax issues for hiring employees. The Life events for employees page might be of particular interest to you if this is your first time hiring employees. You can also refer to https://smallbusinessbc.ca/articles/human-resources/ for more information.

Adding New Locations or Divisions

If you’re expanding to new locations, you can keep track of your GST/HST, payroll, and import/export accounts separately (note it’s not necessary to get a new business number for each location). For details on registering new accounts for your business number refer to the CRA’s How it works page.

If you’re adding new divisions or branches, however, special filing rules apply. Refer to the Employers’ Guide – Filing the T4 Slip and Summary and the General Information for GST/HST Registrants guide.

Investing in Research and Development

If you’re going to conduct experimental research and development for your product, you might qualify for the federal government and/or the British Columbia government’s Scientific Research and Experimental Development (SR&ED) tax credits. Refer to the CRA website for information on the Federal SR&ED Tax Incentive Program. Refer to the provincial government website for information on B.C.’s SR&ED Tax Credit.

Importing and Exporting

If you start importing and/or exporting goods and services, you’ll need to register for an account that will be appended to your current business number. If you don’t have a business number, you’ll need to apply for one to obtain an import/export account.

Source: Small Business BC

Connect With A Member Of Our Bookkeeping Team

Call Us Directly: 1-855-998-3041
Monday – Friday, 7 AM to 6 PM PT

Everything you need to know when filing taxes in Canada.

Enter your details and get access to your own copy of The Ultimate Personal & Business Canadian Tax Guide.

* By submitting this form, you consent to receive communications from LedgersOnline.

We use cookies!

Our website uses cookies to improve your experience on the site. By using our website you agree to the use of cookies.

Find out how we use cookies